I thought this was great. It came in an e-mail today…
Top Ten Movie Misquotes
1. “Play it Again, Sam” – Casablanca – This is not the quote. The quote is “You played it for her, you can play it for me…If she can stand it, I can. Play it!”
2. “ Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!” One of the biggest movie misquotes of all time is from the Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The true quote is: “Badges? We ain’t got no badges. We don’t need no badges. I don’t have to show you any stinkin’ badges!”
3. “Luke, I am your father” – Darth Vader never said this to Luke Skywalker, instead the quote is: “No. I am your father.”
4. “Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?” Yes, she was…but that’s not what Dustin Hoffman’s character said in the graduate. He actually said, “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?”
5. “Greed is Good” Though there’s no mistaking the meaning, Gordon Gecko never said “greed is good” in the movie Wall Street. The quote reads as follows, The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit…”
6. “If you build it they will come” was not the message Kevin Costner’s talking corn threw out that fateful night in the movie Field of Dreams. The quote is “if you build it he will come,” meaning Costner’s father.
7. “Houston, we’ve got a problem” is incorrect. In the movie Apollo 13 Tom Hank’s character said, “Houston we have a problem.”
8. “Do you feel lucky, punk?” An often misquoted line from Dirty Harry, the line is really “Ah, I know what you’re thinking, punk. You’re thinking, ‘Did he fire six shots or only five?’ Well, to tell you the truth, I’ve forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya punk?”
9. “I love the smell of napalm in the morning… it smells like victory!” Robert DeNiro did love the smell of napalm in the morning in the movie Apocalypse now, but that’s not what he said. The true quote is: “You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinkin’ dink body. The smell, you know, that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smells like… victory.”
10. “Fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.” No it’s not going to be a bumpy ride it’s going to be a bumpy night. This line from All About Eve, is rarely quoted correctly.
Posted under Film
This post was written by jjanvrin on June 26, 2008